Timing: Send to an instructor 2-3 weeks before the first day of classes
As your most important partner in ensuring IA success, instructors need to know how and when to set up their course in the LMS and how to communicate with students.
Here is an instructor email example for LMS setup and student communication. This example was written for Canvas. Check out our guides for other LMS setups.
Thank you for participating in [IA PROGRAM NAME] this term. Your students will access course materials for [COURSE] through [LMS]. Below are instructions for adding the RedShelf tool into your [LMS] course. Please complete this step by [DATE} to ensure that your students will have access to the materials.
How to add the RedShelf tool:
- Go to “Courses” in Canvas
- Select the course using Inclusive Access
- Create or add to an existing module
- Select the + button next to the desired module
- Select “Add External Tool”
- Choose RedShelf (the URL and page name will auto-populate)
- Add item
Students will receive IA program and pricing information from the campus store. Please communicate with your students to reinforce those messages and to ensure that they all have access to the materials.
Tips for student communications:
- Include a [IA PROGRAM NAME] explanation in your syllabus and all email communications prior to the first day of class. [CAMPUS STORE NAME] can help you with that language.
- Assign homework using the course materials within the first week of class to ensure that students have access
- Provide the RedShelf Solve link (solve.redshelf.com) to refer questions and support
Please let me know if I can help further!
Course Materials Manager
Example University Bookstore