Instructors are perhaps the most important partner in ensuring the success of your program. Empowering them with information that is concise yet detailed is a delicate balancing act, and sending them instructions for setting up their course in the LMS at the right time is critical. If you get it right, your instructors will fully understand how to set up their course in the LMS and how to communicate with their students about the IA program.
Note: The example below is for a campus using Canvas. Check out our guides for other LMS setups.
Timing: Send to an instructor 2 to 3 weeks before the first day of classes.
Thank you for participating in Example University’s Inclusive Access program this term. Your students will be accessing their course materials for [COURSE] through [LMS], so there are a few simple steps for you to complete to make the materials available for them. Below are instructions for adding the RedShelf tool into your [LMS] course. RedShelf is our partner who provides this direct link to course materials as well as the ability for your students to opt out of Inclusive Access should they wish to do so.
The RedShelf tool is added by following the steps provided below. This tool will provide students with the ability to "Opt Out" of required course materials if they choose and ensure your school is meeting DOE standards.
How to add your RedShelf tool:
- Go to Courses in Canvas
- Select the Course using Inclusive Access
- Create or add to an existing Module
- Select the + button next to the desired Module
- Select Add External Tool
- Choose RedShelf. The URL and Page Name will be auto-populated.
- Add Item
Example University Bookstore is communicating Inclusive Access program information and pricing to students; however, your communication with your students can help ensure that they all have access to materials throughout your course.
Tips for Student Communication:
- Include a brief explanation of the Inclusive Access program in your syllabus and in any email communication with students prior to the first day of class. If you need help with this language, Example University Bookstore will be happy to guide you.
- Assign homework within the content during the first week of class to get them used to accessing their digital materials.
- Provide students with the RedShelf customer support contact in case they have further questions: solve.redshelf.com
Please let me know if I can assist with anything else. Have a great semester!
Course Materials Manager
Example University Bookstore