The information, documentation, and step-by-step instructions for integrating RedShelf into your Blackboard system!
LTI Tool Integration
Your RedShelf representative will send you a document detailing how to complete the LTI tool integration.
To start the process outlined in the document you get from your RedShelf representative, your representative will send you the following information:
- LAUNCH URL:
** make sure there are no spaces before and after each of these credentials **
LMS Administrator Creates RedShelf LTI Tool
Once your RedShelf rep has the Key, Secret and Launch URL information, the LTI tool can be built.
- On the System Admin tab, select Building Blocks under the Building Blocks tile:
- Select LTI Tool Providers.
- Select Register Provider Domain.
- On the Register Provider Domain page, fill out the following fields:
- Provider Domain: whitelabel.redshelf.com as the domain website. Replace whitelabel with your RedShelf whitelabel name.
- Provider Domain Status: Select Approved.
- Default Configuration: Select Set Globally.
- Tool Provider Key: This is the consumer key, which should have been provided to you by your RedShelf account representative.
- Tool Provider Secret: This is the shared secret, which should have been provided to you by your RedShelf account representative.
- Send User Data: Select Send User Data Over SSL Only. This is a security setting to make sure that course users information is kept secure.
- User Fields To Send: Please check the boxes for...
- Role In course
- Email Address
Creating a Placement (LMS Admin)
Next, create a placement for this LTI tool in a course.
- In Building Blocks >> LTI Tool Providers, select the LTI tool and select Manage Placements
- Select Create Placement.
- Enter a Label.
- Enter a Handle. For the Type, select Content Type. Some versions of Blackboard ask for the location of where you will find the tool in the course. RedShelf recommends setting this as Content Type = Build Content (Create). Make sure you mark the tool as Available!
- For Tool Provider URL, copy and paste the following link. Replace whitelabel with your RedShelf white label name provided to you by your RedShelf account rep: https://whitelabel.redshelf.com/lti/basic_launch/
- At the bottom of the page, select Submit.
Adopting the Tool in the Course (Instructor)
- Navigate to your course.
- On the upper right hand of the course, ensure that Edit Mode is On. Note that not all versions of Blackboard require this step.
- On the left-hand menu, select Content.
- At the top of the Content screen, find the Build Content drop-down menu.
- Select RedShelf Course Materials from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the name of the tool, then select Submit. The tool should now be ready for use!
Testing the LTI Tool
- Create a test student with a test email account. The student must have an email address. This is what RedShelf uses as the student's identifier.
- Add the LTI Tool to a test course, or a real course.
- Enroll the student into the course.
- You’ll likely receive an error message at first, but RedShelf will add a book to this test email account to confirm the integration is working.
RedShelf's LTI tool supports the following roles:
- Teaching Assistant (TA)