The information, documentation, and step-by-step instructions for integrating RedShelf into your Canvas system!
- LMS Administrator Creates RedShelf LTI Tool
- Adopting the Tool within a Course
- Testing the LTI Tool
- Retrieving Course Information through a Provisioning Report
- Additional Notes
LTI Tool Integration
Your RedShelf representative will send you an email detailing how to complete the LTI tool integration.
To start the process outlined in the document your RedShelf representative sends, your representative will also send you the following information:
- LAUNCH URL:
** make sure there are no spaces before and after each of these credentials **
LMS Administrator Creates RedShelf LTI Tool
Once your RedShelf rep has the Key, Secret, and Launch URL information, the LTI tool can be built.
- On the left-hand menu, select the Admin panel, then select the account which contains the RedShelf courses. In this example, our account is labeled "RedShelf". If you have multiple accounts containing RedShelf courses, please repeat all of the following steps in each account that contains RedShelf courses.
- In the account menu, select Settings.
- In the settings menu, select Apps.
- In the apps menu, select View App Configurations.
- On the External Apps menu, select + App.
- On the Add App screen, enter the following information:
- Configuration Type: Manual Entry
- Name: RedShelf eBooks
- Consumer Key: (Provided by RedShelf)
- Shared Secret: (Provided by RedShelf)
- Launch URL: https://whitelabel.redshelf.com/lti/basic_launch/
- Domain: Domain should be your institution's white-label site (e.g. supestore.redshelf.com or byu.redshelf.com)
- Privacy: Email-Only, or Public:
- Email-Only: Only send the student's Email. The student's RedShelf account will not have a name associated with it if this setting is selected
- Public: Send both the student's email and their name, allowing for more accurate user creation on the RedShelf side
- Custom Fields: Leave blank
- Description: Optional
Adopting the Tool within a Course
The tool can be adopted into each course by the LMS Administrator or by a faculty member. Follow the below instructions to adopt the tool.
- On the lefthand menu, select Courses. Then select the course which will contain the LTI tool.
- In the course menu, select Modules.
- Select the + button next to the module which will contain the RedShelf LTI tool.
- Select "External Tool."
- Choose the RedShelf LTI tool, in this example labeled RedShelf eBooks. This should automatically populate the URL and the name. The URL should be https://whitelabel.redshelf.com/lti/basic_launch/, where whitelabel is replaced with the name of your RedShelf whitelabel, provided to you by your account representative.
- Optionally, Check the box for "Load in a new tab."
- Select Add Item to finish adding the LTI tool to the module.
Testing the LTI Tool
In order to test the LTI Tool, please do the following:
- Create a test student with a test email account. The student must have an email address. This is what RedShelf uses as the student's identifier.
- Add the LTI Tool to a test course, or a real course.
- Make sure the Module and the tool are published
- Enroll the student in the course.
- You’ll likely receive an error message at first, but RedShelf will add a book to this test email account to confirm the integration is working.
Retrieving Course Information through a Provisioning Report
- Go to Admin > Accounts > select the applicable account
- Go to Settings > Reports
- Click Configure for the Provisioning report
- Select applicable Terms in the drop-down menu, and select Courses CSV, then Run Report
- The report will download to the page, and an email will be sent to your account when the report is ready to download.
- Send the RedShelf courses to your RedShelf representative.
RedShelf's LTI tool supports the following roles:
- Teaching Assistant (TA)