The information, documentation, and step-by-step instructions for integrating RedShelf into your Sakai system!
LTI Tool Integration
Your RedShelf representative will send you a document detailing how to complete the LTI tool integration.
To start the process outlined in the document your RedShelf representative sends, your representative will also send you the following information:
- LAUNCH URL:
** make sure there are no spaces before and after each of these credentials **
Sakai Administrator creates the RedShelf LTI Tool
There are two steps to create an LTI tool in a course. First, a generic External Tool must be created. Then, the external tool must be configured to point to the RedShelf LTI launch.
Add an External Tool to a course
First, a generic External Tool must be added to the course. Once the tool has been added, we will configure it as the RedShelf LTI tool.
To add an External Tool to the course:
- Navigate to the course you want to add the tool. On the left-hand menu, select "Site Info."
- On the "Site Info" page, select "Manage Tools" along the top navigation bar. This will open the "Project Site Tools" page.
- On the "Project Site Tools" page, find the checkbox for "External Tool" and select the checkbox.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Continue." This will open the "Customize tool instances" page.
- On the "Customize tool instances" page, you can now enter the name of the external tool. This is the name students will see when trying to navigate to the tool.
- Select "Continue." This will open up a summary page confirming the site edits. The only change should be the RedShelf tool, and it should be highlighted in Red to show that it is being added.
- Select "Finish" to add the external tool to the course.
Edit the External Tool to point to RedShelf LTI Launch
Now we have created the External Tool, but it is not yet configured to work with RedShelf.
To configure the External Tool for a RedShelf LTI Launch:
- If you have successfully created the External Tool in the previous step, you should now see it on the left-hand menu. Select the external tool from the left-hand menu.
- You should see a message saying "The tool has not yet been configured." To the right of that message, select the "Edit" button.
- On the edit page for the tool, fill out the following fields, then scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Update Options" to finish configuring the LTI tool:
- Remote Tool URL: https://whitelabel.redshelf.com/lti/basic_launch/, where whitelabel is replaced by the name of your whitelabel
- Remote Tool Key: This is the consumer key provided to you by your RedShelf account representative.
- Remote Tool Secret: This is the shared secret provided to you by your RedShelf account representative.
- Open in a New Window: Please check this box. RedShelf requests at this time that our tool be opened in a new window to ensure a smooth SSO experience across all platforms.
- Send Names to External Tool: Please check this box. RedShelf requires the student's name to be sent in the LTI launch request.
- Send Email Addresses to External Tool: Please check this box. RedShelf requires the student's email to be sent in the LTI launch request.
- Allow the External Tool to store and retrieve its settings: Please check this box. This setting is required for the Sakai LTI system to correctly send the LTI launch parameters to RedShelf.
Testing the LTI Tool
In order to confirm the LTI tool is functioning properly, please do the following:
- Create a test student with a test email account. The student must have an email address. This is what RedShelf uses as the student's identifier.
- Add the LTI Tool to a test course or a real course.
- Enroll the student in the course.
- You’ll likely receive an error message at first, but RedShelf will add a book to this test email account to confirm the integration is working.
RedShelf's LTI tool supports the following roles:
- Teaching Assistant (TA)