RedShelf eReader Mobile App
The RedShelf eReader companion app provides simple online or offline access to read and engage with textbooks located in a RedShelf account.
- Downloading the App
- Sign In/Sign Out
- Start Reading
- App Navigation
- Offline and Downloading
- Purchasing a New eBook
Downloading the App
RedShelf’s eReader app is available through the Apple Store for iOS devices or the Google Play Store for Android devices. The majority of the eReader features and functionality are identical between the web browser and the mobile app experience to ensure students have a consistent experience between their desktop, tablet, and mobile devices.
Downloading from the Apple Store (iOS)
- From your Apple device, go to the App Store (currently not available for macOS)
- Go to the search and type in RedShelf
- Select “Get” and complete the prompts to begin the download
Pro Tip: Make sure you are on the most recent version of your operating system as well as the most current version of the app. Most users have their app settings update automatically, but this can be confirmed by going to Settings > Your Name > iTunes & App Store > Turn On/ Turn Off Updates.
Downloading from Google Play Store (Android)
- From your Android device, to to the Google Play Store
- Go to the search and type in RedShelf
- Select “Install” to begin the download
Pro Tip: Make sure you are on the most recent version of your operating system as well as the most current version of the app. Most users have their Settings to update apps automatically, but this can be confirmed by going to Settings > Auto-Update Apps > Select/ Deselect Auto-Updates.
Pro Tip: Those looking to use the RedShelf eReader on a desktop can simply use the web version of the eReader by logging in to redshelf.com.
Sign In/Sign Out
In order to use the eReader app, you will need to have an existing RedShelf account already set up on redshelf.com. You will use the same username and password required to log into your RedShelf account to access the eReader app. As a first-time user, you cannot create an account initially from the app itself.
If you have access to RedShelf through your LMS (such as Canvas, Blackboard, Moodle, D2L, etc.) you will not be able to automatically log into the app. In order to gain login credentials for the app, simply select “Forgot Password” and enter the email address associated with your LMS account. You will receive an email with a password reset and should follow the instructions for creating a new password in order to log in.
Once you’re logged into the eReader app, you’ll be taken directly to the “My Shelf” page. This page will show all the eBooks in your RedShelf account that you are either subscribed to or have purchased. You can select the three dots next to each title to start reading the eBook or get more details on the title.
You can open your eBook in the eReader by selecting the “Read” option after selecting the three dots, or by selecting “Reading Now” at the bottom center of the navigation item. Selecting “Reading Now” will open the most recent eBook you were reading on the same page you left off.
The eReader app leverages the same tools and functionality that provide an engaging experience in the web browser eReader.
Interactive features that are available in the pop-up navigation after a piece of text is highlighted include:
- Note: Save notes to your highlighted content as a useful reminder for later
- Flashcards: Create flashcards for future studying
- Copy: Save content to your clipboard to easily paste elsewhere
- Pro Tip: Not all publishers allow content to be copied, so ensure you tack how much copy allowance each title has
- Citation: Create a citation of the eBook title, author, and section for easy copy/paste into another document
Top Navigation eReader Controls
- Left Navigation Pane: This icon will open up the left navigation window, where users can go back to My Shelf, create flashcards, and interact with other eBook elements
- Search: If you are looking for a particular word or phrase, use the search icon to open up search functionality
- Page Number: See what page you are reading of the eBook, or edit the number to navigate to another page
- Fit to Screen: Use this icon to resize the window frame and fit the eBook to the screen size
- Zoom In/Zoom Out: Incrementally adjust the zoom levels of the eBook
- Bookmark: Save your place anywhere in the eBook, or locate saved bookmarks
- Text-to-Speech: Read-aloud options are available on the top right, indicated by the Play icon
Left Navigation Interactive Tools
- Back to Shelf: Go back to My Shelf to see all of your eBooks
- Table of Contents: Look inside the eBook’s table of contents, broken down by chapter for easy navigation through the title
- Bookmarks: See a list of bookmarks generated for the specific eBook you are viewing
- Notes & Highlights: See a list of notes you have made, as well as highlights for this particular eBook
- Study Guide: Access your notes and highlights for a comprehensive review of your interactions with the eBook
- Flashcards: Study previously created flashcards before an exam for better reading comprehension
- Copied Content: See the list of content you have copied for this eBook
- Pro Tip: Since some titles do not allow users to copy the entire content of an eBook, use this tool to manage what percent you are at for that particular eBook
- Reading Activity: View stats for how you are using the eReader and set reading goals
- Collaboration: Share a code with someone to access your notes or enter a shared code to access others
- Text-to-Speech (Read Aloud): Change your settings for Text-to-Speech, including the voice, volume, and speed
- Pro Tip: Make sure your device volume is always on as it will override this setting if in Silent Mode
- Keyboard Shortcuts: Review keyboard shortcuts that make the eReader more accessible to navigate with keystrokes instead of a mouse
Pro Tip: Printing is not featured in the app navigation as this feature is currently only available on the desktop version of the eReader
Offline and Downloading
Depending on the publisher, some eBooks are available to be read offline through the eReader app. This means that you will be able to read and engage with your eBook even without an internet connection.
An eBook’s download availability is indicated by the down arrow on the title cover in My Shelf:
- eBooks available to read offline will show a down arrow with a white circle
- eBooks not available to read offline will have a cross through the down arrow with a white circle
- eBooks already downloaded to your device will have a down arrow with a green circle
Pro Tip: Make sure your device has enough space to complete a download of the title. Depending on the size of the eBook, you may want to free up space before attempting to download it.
Deleting Offline Content
Since some publishers don’t always allow for multiple copies of an eBook across all your devices, you may need to remove the download from your eReader app in order to access the title through another device. You can delete downloaded content from the app by:
- Find the downloaded title with the arrow and green circle
- Select the three dots to the right of the title
- Select “Delete Download” to remove the download from your app
Purchasing a New eBook
Users are currently unable to purchase a new eBook through the eReader app. If you would like to purchase an eBook to read on the mobile app, please go to redshelf.com to access the web browser version from your phone or desktop. As soon as the new eBook is purchased it will automatically be available within your RedShelf account on My Shelf.
If you’re experiencing any issues while accessing your eBooks on the eReader app, we’re here to support you along the way. Below are some common troubleshooting items you can do on your own that may help improve the experience:
- Keep Your Device Updated: Making sure you are running the latest version of your operating system on your phone or tablet are critical for the best user experience.
- Keep Your App Updated: We publish updates to the app on a regular basis which may address any errors you’re encountering. To ensure you’re on the latest version of the app, check your Profile Tab to see what version you are currently running. Most users have their settings to update apps automatically, but this can be confirmed by going to:
- iOS: Settings > Your Name > iTunes & App Store > Turn On/ Turn Off Updates
- Android: Settings > Auto-Update Apps > Select/ Deselect Auto-Updates
Highlighting Issues on App and Browser
Some of the titles on our platform have publisher agreements that require that we reflect the style and structure of the paper book. Those titles may have issues as highlight locations do not always align perfectly with the visual location of the letters.
On the app, there are some challenges with the eReader highlights as we have to disable native features on phones for content security reasons. We are working on modifications to this feature and will release updates as soon as they are available.
Text-To-Speech Not Working on the Android
Android does not enable Text-to-Speech as an out of the box feature like Apple does. In order for Text-to-Speech to work on an Android device, we need to build the functionality, which we are working towards currently. We are working on updates to this feature and will push out changes as soon as they are available.
Inclusive Access Books Not Working on the App
If you are experiencing any issues with your book not appearing on your Shelf, please reach out to our Support Team so we can add it. While you are waiting, you can always use the web browser version on your phone/desktop until it has been resolved.
If you’re still having issues after trying the troubleshooting tips above, we’re always happy to help. Please submit a support ticket to our Customer Experience team through solve.redshelf.com so we can assist you.