Your Blackboard interface may look slightly different depending on your institution's branding. However, there are generally two types of courses created in Blackboard: the original non-Ultra course view and the Blackboard Ultra view.
Note: Due to restrictions on how the LTI tool works, you might not have the option to impersonate a student experience (usually known as "Student View"). The professor and student experience are exactly the same. If you try to open the LTI view through a "Student View" you'll receive an error. An error outside of "student view" most likely means that your course has not yet been configured on RedShelf's side. Most course materials are made available 1-2 weeks before the term starts. If the error persists, please submit a request with our support team directly.
Steps for Placing the RedShelf LTI Tool in the Original Non-Ultra Course View
If you are using the original non-Ultra course view, follow the step-by-step instructions below to add the RedShelf LTI tool to your course shell in Blackboard. You may also view the video below for a demonstration.
- Login to Blackboard
- Select your class on the left-hand side
- Select Start Here
- Go to the tools drop-down, click More Tools
- Select "RedShelf Portal" or "RedShelf Course Materials" (if you do not see this option, view the video below)
- Add a name to the link
- Select "Yes" for Available Status
- Enter date restrictions, if applicable
- Click Submit
- Scroll down to view the link you just installed
Steps for Placing the RedShelf LTI Tool in the Blackboard Ultra Course View
If you are using the Blackboard Ultra view, follow the instructions below to add the RedShelf LTI tool to your course shell.
- Log in to Blackboard.
- Select your class on the left-hand side.
- In the Course Content area, select “Content Market.”
- Select the plus sign on the Institution Tool's card for "RedShelf Course Materials" to add the tool to your course. RedShelf Course Materials will appear as a link.