For a visual overview of our Offline Access feature, check out our tutorial page.
If your eBook has an offline access allowance, you can save a portion of your book in the cache of your browser when you are without an internet connection.
Checking Your eBook’s Offline Access Allowance
Since not all publishers include an offline access allowance for all books, RedShelf notifies you if your eBook has offline capabilities.
To check your eBook’s offline access allowance:
- Navigate to your Shelf and select View Book Details on the right side of the page.
- Under eBook Features, locate the label Offline Access with the crossed-out internet icon next to it.
- Your offline access allowance is to the right of the Offline Access label. The allowance is a percentage of the book you can access offline at one time.
- If you don’t see the Offline icon, the publisher does not offer offline capabilities for the particular title.
How to Activate an Offline Session
You must have an Internet connection while activating Offline mode. The content downloads into your browser cache and enable you to access your content through the special link without a network. Clearing your browser cache may disrupt your Offline Access.
Once you have determined your book’s offline access allowance, you can create an offline session:
- Open the Sidebar Menu (four horizontal bars) and select Offline.
- Choose the start and end points of the section you’d like to take offline under the Start and End headers.
- In the Start and End dropdown menus, you can find the percentage for each section of the eBook. The sum of each section’s percentage must fall within the eBook’s total offline percentage for the session to go offline.
- Under the dropdown menus, there is a message that tells you the eBook’s available offline percentage at one time and the duration of the session.
- You can highlight, take notes, create flashcards, place bookmarks, and make citations while reading the book offline. These actions transfer to your eBook once you are back online.
- To review the remaining days on your offline session, navigate to the Sidebar Menu button and select Offline. The number of days remaining are on the left side of the screen.
You can end your offline session at any time. Navigate to the Offline menu and select Clear Session. After that, you can then activate a new offline session of your choosing!
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out!